EducationPlus

EducationPlus
St. Louis Regional Professional Development Center

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Snow Day: A double-edged sword



As we prepare for the first Snow Day of the school year, I approach tomorrow with anticipation, and at the same time hesitation. Yes, school administrators and teachers alike look forward to and enjoy Snow Days. My family (my wife and three sons) will be home enjoying the day off from school. On the other hand I will drive into school and spend a quiet day working in my office. Now, it’s not all that bad as I will be able to take care of “spring cleaning” with the stacks of papers that need to filed, planning for upcoming Professional Development activities, thinking about Common Core, preparing for our School Improvement Plan writing day, and or finalizing the details for our upcoming Parent Book Discussion focused on Linda Perlstein’s Not Much Just Chillin’: the hidden lives of middle schoolers.

The downside is that we’ve now added one more day to the end of the school year. Although for now that is far off into the distant future and my school (and my personal) family is not thinking of that right now. They are all pondering how they will spend the next 24 hours free from responsibility with the opportunity to explore their recreational options.

Share your thoughts on “Snow Days”...

No comments:

Post a Comment