EducationPlus

EducationPlus
St. Louis Regional Professional Development Center

Saturday, January 8, 2022

My "One Word" for 2022: Community

Each December I begin the process of selecting my One Word for the upcoming year. This December was no different from any other year. The only exception is I am reviving my blog and will use my One Word as the for posts during 2022. After reflecting on 2021 and considering several words, a few came to mind that could possibly serve this purpose. However, when Community came to mind, I knew immediately it would readily frame my focus for 2022. 

Jon Gordon, author of “One Word that will change your life”, explains that by narrowing your focus to a “one word” vision you add clarity and focus to your year.  Gordon’s January 1, 2014 appearance on the Today Show solidified my decision to begin this process.  I have been using his One Word focus since 2014. You can learn more about selecting your “One Word” by checking out Mr. Gordon’s website: http://getoneword.com/

Community is defined as "a unified body of individuals: such as a body of persons of common and especially professional interests scattered through a larger society." There are four types of communities: Interest (Communities of people who share the same interest or passion), Action (Communities of people trying to bring about change), Place (Communities of people brought together by geographic location), and Circumstance (Communities of people brought together by external events/situations). Throughout the year I will focus on different types of communities to share my thoughts, ideas, opinions, and reflections.

The picture I selected for my One Word background is from the Missouri Leadership Academy's Outdoor Leadership Experience (OLE) this past fall. Here I am facing my fear of heights by completing the climb and crossing over to the climbing wall landing area. My OLE #TeamRabbits encouraged, supported, and cheered me on in helping me accomplish this challenge. This community was instrumental in my personal success. You see, my success was their success. We were a community working together to achieve unified goals throughout the OLE retreat. This powerful experience led me to rally around "Community" as my One Word for 2022.

What is your One Word for 2022? I look forward to learning about your One Word! Best wishes for an incredible 2022.

Photo credit: Erica Edwards (@EducateNEdwards) OLE participant and #TeamRabbit member. 

No comments:

Post a Comment